Week 10 - Manga and The Japanese Comics Traditions

Ever since I was little, I LOVED the world of anime and all the craziness that came with it. I would always beg my parents for 5 more minutes of TV time whenever Naruto, Bleach, Inuyasha, or Dragon Ball Z was on screen. Imagine my surprise when I found out that the same stories I loved to watch also came in book form; I could just take them to school with me and find out what happens in the next episode without directly watching it. I was always a huge fan of Naruto and all the other mainstream anime/manga, except One Piece. It wasn't until I met a friend of mine that introduced me to the more "unknown" types of anime and manga such as Katekyo Hitman Reborn, Negima, Pandora Hearts, and of course Death Note.

Nowadays Death Note is among the most popular anime and manga of all time and a must watch/read for anyone interested in the genre. The whole concept of a High School Student who tries to become a God after finding a magical book that kills anyone who's name is written in it is just insane. The whole story is elevated after he falls under investigation by the government and the mysterious L. After a while I ended up becoming more interested in manga and how it was made and thats when I discovered Bakuman.

Bakuman stars two High School students who enter the world of manga and try to compete with other famous Mangaka in order to get their own story serially published. The main character deals with the past of his uncle who died after overexerting himself with his Manga work. He was a hero to the main character and his inspiration. Not only does he have the memory of his Uncle, and his best friend to push him forward, he also has a love interest who he promised to have voice act one of his characters once he eventually gets an anime. The whole story is very heartwarming and inspiring and shows the good and dark sides of the manga industry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 11- Comics As Contemporary Literature

Week 12- Comics By Women

Assessment: What Ever Happened to The Man of Tomorrow?