Week 14- The Rise of Webcomics

In my Freshman year of college I found an app within the itunes app store called Webtoons. At the time I was just looking for Comics to read to pass the time and not have to pay in order to read them. Once I downloaded the app, I was introduced into the world of webcomics. The comics in Webtoons follow a specific format dedicated to cellular devices in which all one would have to do is simply scroll. The app has MANY different genres and one of the very first ones that I fell in love with was a Star Wars comic that would retell the original movies from Luke Skywalker's perspective, meaning we would have no idea what Han and Leia were doing until we come across them in the story. It really captivated me and helped me fall in love with the webcomic world. The next one I read was called Girls of the Wild's. In this Webtoon Manhwa, a weak boy named Jaegu is admitted into an all girl's school that specializes in teaching MMA and fighting. Through the course of the story Jaegu meets many girls, falls in love, and ends up training his ass off in order to become a good fighter. 

Webcomics is a fascinating concept full of competition and lots of drama. Ive done some research on how to break into the world and most of the time, theres nothing stopping you from doing them; except that if you don't have an interesting premise, you are pretty much done for. Yet I have seen a lot of success from webcomics such as The God of High School, Noblesse, or even One Punch Man who have all gotten formal contracts into animation and have their own anime adaptations that are loved around the world. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 11- Comics As Contemporary Literature

Week 12- Comics By Women

Assessment: What Ever Happened to The Man of Tomorrow?